A while back, I was watching Avengers: Endgame and I heard a quote that really stuck with me: "Everyone fails at who they're supposed to be, Thor. The measure of a person, of a hero, is how well they succeed at being who they are." I found a lot of truth in that statement and I think it reveals a lot about where I am in life.
Instead of focusing on who I was supposed to be, let's talk about who I am. I grew up loving math puzzles and video games and I thrive in work environments that present similar challenges. In the past decade, that has included scientific data analysis, building user-friendly websites, writing tricky automated tests, and communicating clearly. However, I get my greatest feelings of fulfillment from my marriage and parenting a moody cat.
In addition to video games and music, I've developed a board gaming hobby (more on those below). I enjoy reading all sorts of books and expect I'll never get through my "to read" list - probably better than running out of books though. I enjoy watching sports, in particular racing, football, hockey, and baseball. I like to play golf, but I prefer small, inexpensive courses where I can just relax and have fun with friends. Minigolf is good too.
I'm sure I could ramble on for much longer, but I think this is a good starting point. Check out the rest of my website and feel free to get in touch if you want to learn more.
1) Wait, you have a PhD? Why are you doing web development?
Why not? Yes, I have a PhD, but I've discovered I have a talent for web development and enjoy the creativity involved. And it definitely helps to work at an institute researching the atmosphere!
2) Don't you want to be a professor?
I did previously. But a lot of people I've talked to are unaware that a PhD doesn't guarantee you a job as a professor (especially in recent decades). Here's a simple example that might illuminate why:
Let's say a professor mentors about 10 new PhD students (in 30-ish years) before retiring. Even if the number of academic positions doubled or so with each generation, 80% of those PhD graduates have to find something else to do. The other 20% have to really want it and I admire the commitment and sacrifice they make. But that life turned out not to be for me.
Some of it came down to personal choice. I wanted a career with less travel that would allow my family to choose where to settle down. Like many others, I'm also fortunate enough to have numerous interests.
3) Bitter much about #1 and #2?
Not at all - I just have strong feelings about academia and the stigma around leaving it. I know people who are too afraid to leave and pursue a new career primarily because they don't want to disappoint advisors, family, etc. That's not healthy for anyone.
Data: SQL, SciPy, Matplotlib, Tableau, Statistics, Numerical Modeling, Technical Writing
Web: Django, Laravel, Symfony, MySQL, HTML5, CSS
Testing: Selenium, Laravel Dusk, Codeception, PHPUnit
Support: Git/GitHub, Jenkins, Bash
Research Associate II (Web Developer/Database Administrator)
Colorado State University
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA)
(2020 - Present)
(Web) Application Programmer
Stowers Resource Management, Inc.
(Supporting Stowers Institute for Medical Research)
(2017 - 2020)
Post Doctoral Associate
University of Miami
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
(2015 - 2016)
You are a rectangular, colorful spelunker who can stretch and shrink on a whim! Pastel stalactites of varying heights will tease, taunt, and tempt you to remain as tall as you can for maximum points. Don't hit your head!